place Social Statistics Seminar Room, University of Southampton, UK
- Sofie De Broe (SDB, University of Southampton)
- Inge Hutter (IH, University of Groningen)
- Juliet McEachren (JM, John Snow International, UK)
- Zoë Matthews (ZM, University of Southampton)
It was agreed that the following European colleagues, who had expressed an interest in joining the group, should be copied notes of the meeting:
- Carminha Fonseca (University of Barcelona)
- Rachel Snow (University of Heidelberg)
- Ernestina.Coast (London School of Economics)
- Susannah Mayhew (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
It was proposed that a list of institutions and associated individuals be drawn up.
Other possibilities for individuals interested at different institutions were suggested:
Ideas for the upcoming EAPS conference to be held in Warsaw (Poland), 26-30 August 2003 as a 'side' meeting for the WG were discussed. The following was decided after a wide-ranging discussion:
- The following questions will be put to a representative of 4-6 institutes of Demography that have researchers in Reproductive Health, with a request for presentations to be made:
- What can Demography offer Reproductive Health studies?
- What is the value of the Demographic approach to Reproductive Health research? (as opposed to Public Health, Epidemiology, Geography, etc)
- Participants will be encouraged to give examples of research projects which demonstrate the value of a demographic approach from a range of developing country settings. It was suggested that this meeting be arranged on 15 August in the late afternoon, with an option for participants to go to the same restaurant afterwards for dinner. ZM to approach the Polish organizing committee and initiate activities towards this.
- The public lecture given by Professor Ian Diamond, Chief Executive of the UK Economic and Social Research Council on 30 January at Southampton University was arranged partly to mark the start of this WG. The talk will soon be available in the form of powerpoint slides and touched on important issues for the consideration of the WG.
- Next meeting to be held at Warsaw: ZM, SDB and IH to attend, interested others to be notified during the course of advertising the 'side' meeting.
- Draft list of demographic units in Europe with a research profile in Reproductive Health in Developing Countries, including weblinks
(please add to this / change any errors - email email@example.com)
- University of Southampton, UK www.socstats.soton.ac.uk
- RUG: Rijks Universiteit Groningen, The Netherlands www.frw.rug.nl/indexuk.html
- London School of Economics, UK
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK www.shtm.ac.uk/eph
- University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Université de Louvain la Neuve, Institut de Démographie, Belgium www.demo.ucl.ac.be
- RUG: Rijks Universiteit Gent, Belgium www.psw.rug.ac.be/bevolk/Personen.htm
- Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI) www.nidi.nl
- CEPED (Part of Institut National d'Etudes Demographiques), France www.ined.fr
- Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Centre d'Estudis Demogràfics www.ced.uab.es