Outreach Award for Communication in Population Science
EAPS attaches great importance to the communication of population science. We highly value all efforts of researchers to share the scope, relevance and outcomes of population studies/demography with audiences within and also outside academia. Emphasizing that these efforts are serving the public good, the EAPS Outreach Award celebrates public engagement with population research.
The EAPS Outreach Award aims to encourage researchers to better communicate population research. We value innovative approaches to communication which include, but are not restricted to, new ways of data visualization.
Nominations for the EAPS Outreach Award can be made at any time throughout the year. The one strict deadline is that nominations should be made at least two months before a European Population Conference. Because the European Population Conference 2020 had to be cancelled due to the corona pandemic, the deadline for this Award has been extended to 1 August 2020!
Rules of Play for the Outreach Award
- Candidates are individual scholars who are member of EAPS.
- Candidates may nominate themselves for this Award. Candidates may also be nominated by at least three peers who are members of EAPS and who are residing in at least two different countries. The Jury may invite nominations as well.
- Nominations should include a short (maximum one page) explanatory statement about the communication achievements. A curriculum vitae of the nominee should also be included.
- Nominations should be sent to EAPS and will be treated as confidential.
- The Council of EAPS appoints an independent Jury of peers for this Award.
- The Jury consists of at least three members, one of whom will act as Chair.
- The Jury is free to organize its work as it deems appropriate and follows generally accepted scientific principles and criteria.
- Jury proceedings are confidential. The Jury submits a written report to the EAPS Council indicating the successful laureate and the motivation of the Jury.
- Awards are presented at each European Population Conference.
- The EAPS Outreach Award brings a Euro 1000 cash benefit and a certificate.
2018: Tim Riffe; Ilya Kashnitsky (2018 Jury: Andreas Edel, Giles Pison, Tomas Sobotka)