This Award honors outstanding achievements by an individual scholar in the development and application of the methods of demographic analysis, including mathematical and bio-demography. Nominations for the Trailblazer Award can be made at any time throughout the year. The one strict deadline is that nominations should be made at least two months before an upcoming European Population Conference. The next European Population Conference is EPC 2018 which will convene in Brussels, 6-9 June 2018. This means that the current deadline for this Award is 1 April 2018!
Rules of Play for this Award
- Candidates are early/mid-career scholars with at least 5 years of experience after their PhD. Candidates should be member of EAPS.
- Candidates may nominate themselves for this Award. Candidates may also be nominated by at least five peers who are members of EAPS and who are residing in at least three different countries. The Jury may invite nominations as well.
- Nominations should include a short (maximum one page) explanatory statement as well as a curriculum vitae of the nominee.
- Nominations should be sent to EAPS and will be treated as confidential.
- Nominations should be received by EAPS at least two months before a European Population Conference takes place. The 2018 deadline is 1 April 2018.
- The Council of EAPS appoints an independent Jury of peers for this Award.
- The Jury consists of at least three members, one of whom will act as Chair.
- The Jury is free to organize its work as it deems appropriate and follows generally accepted scientific principles and criteria.
- Jury proceedings are confidential. The Jury submits a written report to the EAPS Council indicating the successful laureate and the motivation of the Jury. This report is published at the EAPS website.
- Awards are presented at each European Population Conference.
- The Trailblazer Award brings a Euro 1000 cash benefit and a certificate.
2018: Carlo Giovanni Camarda (2018 Jury: Jane Falkingham, Nico Keilman, Emilio Zagheni)
2016: Emilio Zagheni (2016 Jury: Annette Baudisch, Nico Keilman, Francesco Billari)
2014: Annette Baudisch (2014 Jury: Graziella Caselli, Frans Willekens, Francesco Billari)