Trailblazer Award for Demographic Analysis
This Award honors outstanding achievements by an individual scholar in the development and application of the methods of demographic analysis, including mathematical and bio-demography.
Nominations for this Award can be made until two months before the start of a European Population Conference. The deadline for this Award is 1 May 2022.
Rules of Play for this Award
- Candidates should have at least five years of experience after their PhD.
- Candidates should be member of EAPS at the time of their nomination.
- Candidates may nominate themselves for this award; self-nominations should be supported by at least 3 members of EAPS residing in at least 2 different countries.
- Candidates may also be nominated by a peer and supported by at least 3 members of EAPS residing in at least 2 different countries.
- The Jury may invite nominations as well.
- Nominations should include a short (maximum one page) explanatory statement and a curriculum vitae of the candidate.
- Nominations should be sent to EAPS and will be treated as confidential.
- The Council of EAPS appoints an independent Jury of peers for this Award.
- The Jury consists of at least three members, one of whom will act as Chair.
- The Jury is free to organize its work as it deems appropriate and follows generally accepted scientific principles and criteria.
- The Jury will explicitly account for years of experience, and will also account for justified leave periods.
- Jury proceedings are confidential. The Jury submits a written report to the EAPS Council indicating the successful laureate and the motivation of the Jury.
- Awards are presented at each European Population Conference.
- The Trailblazer Award brings a Euro 1000 cash benefit and a certificate.
2020: Martin Kolk, Stockholm University
2018: Carlo Giovanni Camarda, INED, (2018 Jury: Jane Falkingham, Nico Keilman, Emilio Zagheni)
2016: Emilio Zagheni (2016 Jury: Annette Baudisch, Nico Keilman, Francesco Billari)
2014: Annette Baudisch (2014 Jury: Graziella Caselli, Frans Willekens, Francesco Billari)