Trailblazer Award for Demographic Analysis
This Award honors outstanding achievements by an individual scholar in the development and application of the methods of demographic analysis, including mathematical and bio-demography.
Nominations for this Award can be made until two months before the start of a European Population Conference. As EPC 2022 will convene from 29 June - 2 July 2022, the deadline for this Award is 1 May 2022.
Rules of Play for this Award
- Candidates are scholars with at least five years of experience after their PhD. Candidates should be member of EAPS.
- Candidates may nominate themselves for this Award. Candidates may also be nominated by at least three peers who are members of EAPS and who are residing in at least two different countries. The Jury may invite nominations as well.
- Nominations should include a short (maximum one page) explanatory statement as well as a curriculum vitae of the nominee.
- Nominations should be sent to EAPS and will be treated as confidential.
- Nominations should be received by EAPS at least two months before a European Population Conference takes place.
- The Council of EAPS appoints an independent Jury of peers for this Award.
- The Jury consists of at least three members, one of whom will act as Chair.
- The Jury is free to organize its work as it deems appropriate and follows generally accepted scientific principles and criteria.
- The Jury will explicitly account for years of experience, and will also account for justified leave periods.
- Jury proceedings are confidential. The Jury submits a written report to the EAPS Council indicating the successful laureate and the motivation of the Jury.
- Awards are presented at each European Population Conference.
- The Trailblazer Award brings a Euro 1000 cash benefit and a certificate.
2020: Martin Kolk, Stockholm University
2018: Carlo Giovanni Camarda, INED, (2018 Jury: Jane Falkingham, Nico Keilman, Emilio Zagheni)
2016: Emilio Zagheni (2016 Jury: Annette Baudisch, Nico Keilman, Francesco Billari)
2014: Annette Baudisch (2014 Jury: Graziella Caselli, Frans Willekens, Francesco Billari)