Van de Kaa Award
Dirk J. van de Kaa Award for Social Demography
This Award honors outstanding achievements by an individual scholar in social demography, and the interplay of population dynamics and social change.
The Award is dedicated to the groundbreaking contributions of Dirk van de Kaa to the study of population including his work on the Second Demographic Transition. It also celebrates his efforts to co-found and build the European Association for Population Studies, notably as its first President. This Award is sponsored by the Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI), where Dirk van de Kaa was founding Director.
Nominations for this Award can be made until two months before the start of a European Population Conference. As EPC 2022 will convene from 29 June - 2 July 2022, the deadline for this Award is 1 May 2022.
Rules of Play for the Dirk J. Van de Kaa Award
- Candidates are scholars with at least 5 years of experience after their PhD. Candidates should be member of EAPS.
- Candidates may nominate themselves for this Award. Candidates may also be nominated by at least three peers who are members of EAPS and who are residing in at least two different countries. The Jury may invite nominations as well.
- Nominations should include a short (maximum one page) explanatory statement as well as a curriculum vitae of the nominee.
- Nominations should be sent to EAPS and will be treated as confidential.
- The Council of EAPS appoints an independent Jury of peers for this Award.
- The Jury consists of at least three members, one of whom will act as Chair.
- The Jury is free to organize its work as it deems appropriate and follows generally accepted scientific principles and criteria.
- The Jury will explicitly account for years of experience, and will also account for justified leave periods.
- Jury proceedings are confidential. The Jury submits a written report to the EAPS Council indicating the successful laureate and the motivation of the Jury.
- Awards are presented at each European Population Conference.
- The Dirk J. Van de Kaa Award brings a Euro 1000 cash benefit and a certificate.
2020: Daniele Vignoli, University of Florence
2018: Anna Matysiak (2018 Jury: Brienna Perelli-Harris, Elizabeth Thomson, Helga de Valk)
2016: Brienna Perelli-Harris (2016 Jury: Arnstein Aassve, Elizabeth Thomson, Clara Mulder)
2014: Arnstein Aassve (2014 Jury: Guillaume Wunsch, Kathleen Kiernan, Zsolt Speder)